So, anyway, the last few years, the good people at 30 days of biking have been been asking people to pledge to cycle every day for the 30 days of April. I pledged last year, but failed on day 3, as it was raining, and i may have had a hangover. This year, I didn't pledge til last night. I was going to see if i could do it on my own, but then decided that I would join in properly.
My history of riding, rode a bit as a kid, had a bike at university, which got stolen, then didn't have a bike until i moved to Exeter. That was very much a pub bike.
Then 2008, whilst in the pub, someone came up with the bright idea of cycling London to Paris. Managed to do that, then never looked back. I now cycle everywhere, as I have got rid of my car, as it didn't move for weeks and months at a time.
So why am I doing this? You would think that this isn't a challenge for someone who does all their travelling on their bike. Well, I've become a little lazy recently, and haven't been out on my bike as much as perhaps should. So, I'm using this as an opportunity to get myself back on it a bit more. And as an added physical challenge, I set myself a target of riding at least a mile more than I had ridden the previous day.
So, how has it gone so far?
Day 1 - 1.13 miles. Cumulative 1.13 miles.
Nearly failed at the first hurdle. Only needed to do one mile, and only just managed with a cycle trip to the shop. Wasn't really in the mood to get on the bike, but as my wife had cycled to work, I thought I should get out there. So, 1.13 miles later, back at home, sat on my bum, eating biscuits.
Day 2 - 2.83 miles. Cumulative 3.94 miles
Nearly failed again. Nasty horrible day out, and again didn't fancy it. As I had told my wife I was attempting it, she badgered me onto my bike at 10pm, as she was going to bed. Ended up riding a lot further than I meant to, around a nice quiet industrial estate. Best time to ride.
Day 3 so far. couple of miles. Target 3.83 cumulative 7.77
Horrible nasty weather. Chucking it down, but at least I had plans today to get out and about anyway. Helping out at a community project. Got very wet getting there, and very wet coming back, and for the first time of the month, I got the trailer on the back. Fully loaded with wood. Still need to get out to pick up some show tickets, and book my bike in for a service. hmmm...servicing my bike this month could make achieving the full month interesting. I'll update later with my full day 3.
My history of riding, rode a bit as a kid, had a bike at university, which got stolen, then didn't have a bike until i moved to Exeter. That was very much a pub bike.
Then 2008, whilst in the pub, someone came up with the bright idea of cycling London to Paris. Managed to do that, then never looked back. I now cycle everywhere, as I have got rid of my car, as it didn't move for weeks and months at a time.
So why am I doing this? You would think that this isn't a challenge for someone who does all their travelling on their bike. Well, I've become a little lazy recently, and haven't been out on my bike as much as perhaps should. So, I'm using this as an opportunity to get myself back on it a bit more. And as an added physical challenge, I set myself a target of riding at least a mile more than I had ridden the previous day.
So, how has it gone so far?
Day 1 - 1.13 miles. Cumulative 1.13 miles.
Nearly failed at the first hurdle. Only needed to do one mile, and only just managed with a cycle trip to the shop. Wasn't really in the mood to get on the bike, but as my wife had cycled to work, I thought I should get out there. So, 1.13 miles later, back at home, sat on my bum, eating biscuits.
Day 2 - 2.83 miles. Cumulative 3.94 miles
Nearly failed again. Nasty horrible day out, and again didn't fancy it. As I had told my wife I was attempting it, she badgered me onto my bike at 10pm, as she was going to bed. Ended up riding a lot further than I meant to, around a nice quiet industrial estate. Best time to ride.
Day 3 so far. couple of miles. Target 3.83 cumulative 7.77
Horrible nasty weather. Chucking it down, but at least I had plans today to get out and about anyway. Helping out at a community project. Got very wet getting there, and very wet coming back, and for the first time of the month, I got the trailer on the back. Fully loaded with wood. Still need to get out to pick up some show tickets, and book my bike in for a service. hmmm...servicing my bike this month could make achieving the full month interesting. I'll update later with my full day 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment